Letter in the missoulian

Orange Acres: Making Montana a great state

March 25, 2014 7:30 am


I was born and raised in Nevada. I came out to Missoula for vacation. I decided to pack up and move to Missoula on a whim. I was so impressed with the city’s environment and friendly demeanor. I left my three-bedroom house, my truck and my job. I only had the money from my savings to help get me established in Missoula.
I arrived and stayed in hotels daily, watching my savings dwindle away along with my hopes of making it in Montana. After weeks of not finding a job and wasting my money in hotels, I was about to pack up and head back home – when, on my final day, right before I was going to book a plane ticket, someone told me about Orange Acres, a place where you can stay for free and volunteer to help others.
Just when I had almost given up, Orange Acres welcomed me in. To me they are the face of Montana, kind and helpful. I actually stayed a couple months at Orange Acres and thank them very much. I ended up getting a great job in Missoula and have been accepted to the University of Montana. The owner of Orange Acres, Jeffrey Halvorson, I consider a lifelong friend and a godsend.
When I flew here I thought, “this is nuts,” and I almost had to return. Three years later it was the best decision I ever made. And it would not have been accomplished without Orange Acres. It’s people and places like Orange Acres that make Montana truly the last great state.
Thomas Hodges, Missoula